When your feet are aligned the proper way, you will find that it can lead to good posture and health throughout the whole body. But when something goes wrong, it has a chain reaction that will go all the way up the body and put unnecessary pressure on all parts as well.
While there are many conditions that can affect the feet, supination is one problem to worry about. When supination happens, it is going to affect your gait and the way that the foot hits the ground.
This can distribute the shock of the ground unevenly and that can harm the ankles, heel, knees, and legs all at the same time. Finding the best supination insoles will make a world of difference and fix your under-pronation so you are able to walk well.
Understanding supination and what it is all about and looking into a good pair of insoles to fix the condition can improve your overall health. Let’s take a look at both of these topics to see how you can fix this condition.
What is Supination?
Supination of the foot occurs when your weight is going to roll over to the outer edges of the feet. When you are walking normally, your foot will need to pronate a bit or roll slightly inward, so that the weight of the step will be right on the ball of the foot. You will then be able to push off from your big toe when you do this.
However, your gait is slightly different if you supinate. In this case, most of the weight when you walk is going to fall more to the outer part of the foot, and when you push off, it happens with the outer toes instead.
If the mechanics of how you walk on your feet are off a bit, it is enough to throw off the entire alignment for the rest of the body. When the supination becomes excessive, it may lead to issues like
- Plantar fasciitis, or inflammation of the sole
- Ankle injuries
- Stress on the knees
- Pain in the hip and hack
If this is a problem for you and you are worried about the pain and discomfort that could happen to your feet when you supinate, it is a good idea to look at different treatment options to protect the foot. Exercises to strengthen the foot and insoles are two great options to consider.
What Can Cause Foot Supination?
Supination is often more of an inherited problem that can happen with the foot, meaning that it is likely to run in families. You may notice that it happens due to weakness in certain muscles of the leg, ankle, and foot.
Some of the things that can contribute to the lack of strength include
- An injury that happened in the past to the foot that ended up damaging the muscles or the tendons of the foot
- Misalignment in some parts of the body
- Improper shoes
Taking the time to wear the right type of shoes and adding an insole inside the shoes to correct alignment issues can be the key that you need to handle supination and get the body re-aligned properly again.
Which Insoles Are Best for Supination?
When you are dealing with supination in the foot, it is important to look for an effective treatment that can make the foot feel better and ensure that the problem does not get worse. There are many great insoles out there that you can choose to help out with this, but some of our top picks for insoles for supination include
- PowerStep Pinnacle Plus Orthotic Shoe Inserts: These are full-length insole that will come with a semi-rigid arch as well as a deep cradle for the foot, providing a lot of support while correcting the position of the feet. There is even EVA foam to help keep the feet comfortable when walking around.
- Spenco Total Support Max Shoe Insoles: These are more of a rigid insole that will have both the heel support and firm arch that you need. They aim to stabilize the feet and make corrections to the way you walk. They also have a good amount of cushioning for comfort and you will enjoy the low-friction materials that are meant to prevent blisters.
- SOF Sole Men’s High Arch: If you are looking for an insole that has a higher arch, then this is the one to choose. The nylon plate inside is going to make sure the foot is aligned well and the high-density foam will make sure that you are comfortable. Enjoy a deeper heel cup as well for proper support and alignment.
- FootScientific Type 3 Orthotic Shoe Insoles: These are specifically designed to work well with supination and provide a high arch for the foot. The padded foam that is found near the heel will make sure that you are stable and comfortable all at once.
- Pedag Correct Plus Orthotic Footbed: This orthotic is a bit smaller than the others, but it is designed to work well with your dress shoes. They are made out of natural leather and a latex rubber that will help realign the foot as well.
All of these can provide you with some of the support that your feet need to be happy and healthy, all while fixing the problem of supination for you.
How Can Insoles Help with Supination?
To help deal with the problem of supination, there are two things that need to be present. First, you need to find a way to stabilize both the ankle and the heel so that the ankle is no longer rolling out when you walk.
The second is that you will need to provide additional support to the arch so that your foot will have the proper foundation. Picking out a good insole is going to help you solve both of these problems.
What Features Should I Look for in Insoles for Supination?
You will want to go with one that has a deep heel cup for the foot because this helps lock the ankle in place, making it harder for the foot and ankle to go outward as it has been doing in the past. Look for a good insole that provides this deep-heel cup, or you won’t solve the problem.
Then you need to pay attention to the arch support. This needs to be in the insole because it provides the arches with a good place to rest, distributing the pressure of walking and standing to all areas of the foot.
The arch support coupled with the heel cup will help guide the foot in how to walk naturally, taking away some of the weight and stress and making the foot happy. Finding a high-quality pair of insoles will help you to do both tasks, giving the foot a break, protecting the body from injuries, and correcting the problems you may have with supination.
Choosing the Best Insoles to Correct Supination
When you are dealing with supination, you will find that it can cause a lot of problems with your feet and lower body. The change can be subtle and take some time, but the longer that you allow it to go on, the worse the condition can get and the more pain you will need to deal with too.
A good pair of insoles can work wonders when you have problems with supination. Our team of podiatrists will be able to work with you to determine whether supination is the foot condition that you are dealing with and will ensure that you get the right insole for your feet, no matter the condition.
Don’t live with the pain and discomfort any longer. Trust our team to work with you to provide support and relief when you need it the most.